One million Giraffes

One Million Giraffes: a Norwegian man wins a bet by receiving a million drawings of giraffes

* 1.jpg (56.09 KB. 620x620 - viewed 4 times.)


A Norwegian man who made a bet with his friend that he could get a million giraffe pictures before the end of this year has already passed his target with months to go



* 02.jpg (67.74 KB. 620x620 - viewed 4 times.)




It was an offhand comment over a beer that launched the quirky challenge. Ola Helland, a 25-year-old web designer, explains: "When I was out drinking with my good friend Jørgen on the 6th of June 2009 I said a sentence that changed my life. We were discussing the internet and how amazing it is, when I said: 'There really are no limits anymore. Anything is possible! I could easily collect one million giraffes if I wanted to.' I wasn't really thinking about what I was saying, but Jørgen wouldn't let that sentence go. He refused to believe it was possible to collect that many giraffes, so we made a bet. The wager was, as it always is with our silly bets, a case of beer"




* 03.jpg (93.88 KB. 620x620 - viewed 4 times.)



Ola set-up a website onemilliongiraffes.com and posted the link on Facebook and Twitter. It stated very clear rules on submission that all giraffes must be created by hand and not made with a computer or bought from a shop. People could also include more than one giraffe in their picture to help make up the numbers




* 04.jpg (71.78 KB. 620x620 - viewed 4 times.)



The response was immediate with the quirky idea inspiring web users to put aside their keyboards and pick up pens, brushes and crayons. He says: "I went out for lunch and when I came back I had 60 giraffes. By the end of the day I had 134. I started to realise that I had started something I immediately lost control over"


* 05.jpg (41.35 KB. 620x620 - viewed 4 times.)



Imaginative submissions from 102 countries included giraffes drawn on body parts, made into cakes, and even sculpted from a banana


* 06.jpg (90.75 KB. 620x620 - viewed 4 times.)


Ola from Stavanger, Norway, says: "People from literally all over the world participated in this project and I got 9,500 emails about giraffes. And since people are so kind to help me out winning this case of beer, the least I could do is answer all their questions. So I've personally answered 9,500 emails in 440 days. Which is a lot of work. Answering emails, tweets and Facebook messages definitely took the most time. And scanning all the giraffes that were mailed to my house. I have about 50 000 drawings in my house now"



* 07.jpg (45.46 KB. 620x620 - viewed 3 times.)


Ola says: "I got the millionth giraffe on the 24th of August, 440 days after I launched the website and I had to the end of the year to win the bet. So I made it with four months to spare!" The magic millionth submission arrived in the form of a charming crayon-drawn picture of a giraffe with fairy wings



* 08.jpg (53.05 KB. 620x620 - viewed 3 times.)




Ola has now released a book showcasing pictures from the project, but will not be sad to leave behind his long-necked friends. "I want to thank everyone who sent in a giraffe or two. You made this happen. Not me. I am forever grateful for making this an adventure I will tell my grandchildren about untill they hate hearing about it. I've had a lot of fun doing this, but I'm definitely over giraffes. A man can only see a certain number of giraffes before he's sick of them. One million is too many!"



Other giraffes received by Ola Hellend:



* 09.jpg (29.21 KB. 620x620 - viewed 3 times.)




* 10.jpg (65.41 KB. 620x566 - viewed 3 times.)




* 11.jpg (97.57 KB. 620x620 - viewed 3 times.)




* 12.jpg (65.44 KB. 620x620 - viewed 3 times.)
Powered by Blogger.